Friday, May 13, 2011

The Power of Prayer

Sanibonani! It's Ashley again ;)

What a fast week! How did we get to Friday? Today was the last day of clinic. When we arrived this morning at 7:30 a.m., we already had a full "waiting area." In total, we saw more than 200 patients today and more than 800 over the course of the week. It's been an amazing experience that words just can not seem to express.

I was really inspired today by a woman who had actually come yesterday and we had to turn away because we were over capacity for our time slot. We prayed for her and encouraged her to return today. She was the first patient at my station this morning. Yesterday, she "camped out" at the clinic to determine whether we'd be fair to turn everyone after her away as well, which we did, with prayer. (The government here has corrupted the healthcare system so that people can buy favor and get special treatment. We do not want to be known for that, so we had to stop seeing patients early afternoon the past couple days to treat everyone that we could in the time that we're alloted in the church that we're using.)



I was encouraged to see her sit down this morning. She began by telling me that though she still wanted to be treated for a couple things, she had slept the entire night before. This was the first time she had slept an entire night since her husband died more than two years ago. She usually wakes up in night sweats. She said that is was our praying for her that allowed her to sleep, and because of that, she believed in all we had to offer. In addition to treating her physical ailments, my attending and I counseled her about Jesus and were able to pray with her in the name of Jesus Christ, not in the name of her ancestors as many South Africans pray to both Jesus and their ancestors. We assured her that Jesus could handle it all on His own and did not need any help.

What a blessing that she saw that we were fair and was able to experience the power of prayer even though we were not able to see her yesterday. God has an amazing plan and way of working things out in His timing.

After leaving clinic today, we had a surprise "feast" at the same huge area of land where some of the team hunted. The owner's five year old son shot and killed a pig for our entire team that was graciously prepared for us. Pastor Darryl's family even joined us for dinner, and we were able to enjoy each other's company as a team and reflect on the week. I wish pictures were enough to even begin to describe the beauty and majesty of God's creation there.

We just returned back to Prayer Mountain and have a 3:30 a.m. wake-up call to catch our bus for Krueger National Park. I apologize for not uploading a picture and pray that you'll give me grace tonight for a quick post. I pray that it made some since as sleep deprivation is kicking in ;)

Until tomorrow...

10 comments:

  1. Glad you guys are making a difference. Please tell my wife Briana i made it back safely from Germany and wish you all a good last half of you your trip, safe travels and God bless.
    -Chad

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing story. God is using you all and it is neat to hear. It is encouraging to see how God affects others in his perfect timing and to see how He does it. Shannon - I miss you and our phone conversations. Love you.

    Brook

    ReplyDelete
  3. This week sure has flown past. 4 days and counting. Christina...not much has been going on lately. Dom, Michelle, and I have been trippin off of Rickey Smiley Morning Show segment of Love & War (when they call people to see if they are cheating) this week. Tuan made sure over & over again that I understood that you were not here and I couldn't talk to you and how much that must suck for me. Other than that I hope you're ready to get to business when you get back...701 days and counting! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can't believe y'all are already done with clinic, but that makes me happy because it means I'm closer to seeing my sweetie, Garrett!! Belle and I have missed you like crazy!! Yesterday at my Dr's appt we were able to hear the baby's heartbeat (take a wild guess as to why I was there :)!! Wish you could have been there!!! Can't wait to see you Tuesday! Get ready for a lot of squeezes!! I love you sososo much!!!!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie and team, you have done it again. It is amazing what prayer can do and just being a believer as the lady who camped out waiting to be seen by you guys. The week is over for you at the clinic, but what God has blessed you to do this week will never be forgotten.Mrs. Deloris at the clinic says, "Hi". Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so heart warming to hear of the impact you are making. I would love to read comments from everyone and please include who wrote it. Haven't read anything from Stephanie. Wondering if you all take turns writing the blog or something. We are proud of you all. May God continue to bless all there.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you are all having such an amazing and rewarding experience even though it has gone by a little too fast. I cannot say enough how proud everyone is of you all, and how you are in our constant prayer. It is absolutely incredible what yall are able to do for those people, and I am sure, without a doubt in my mind, that this is an experience that each one of you as well as the people over there will cherish forever. However, I will admit that I am extremely ready to have my sister and brother-in-law back in the states! I may be a little of a dork, but I have been checking flight times and weather like crazy hehe. I cannot wait to see yall!! I love and miss you very much!

    ps, checked on belle again .. they said she's doing great .. eating better(you know how it takes her awhile to warm up) .. and actually being good haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Adrianne to Corky and team,
    How proud we are of you and can't wait to hear the blessings and struggles. Your team has made an impact on this area. Planting seeds is where it starts. God is the nurturer.

    Love you. All your mama's and more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got the HOLY GHOSTBUMPS as I read this post today!! WOW!!!! You are SO RIGHT, God's timing is AMAZING! Thank you for being consistant and fair - just like Jesus was. Who would have thought someone would be watching for those kinds of details! Kind of a wake up call for ALL OF US that people are watching us! VERY ENCOURAGING post today, THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Melanie, it's Shavra! I pray everything is going well in S Africa. I know you are praying and representing well! I'm proud of you and the others as well. I'm sure they are so appreciative of everything that you guys are doing. Love you and I'm praying for ya!
    Shavra

    ReplyDelete